Wednesday 21 April 2010

Why to join or not join the Conservatives

In order to be objective about the Conservative Party I have to meet head-on the irrational baggage I'm carrying from over 20 years ago. I mean, things that Thatcher did in the 1980s shouldn't really have anything to do with this election should they, really?

But somehow they do matter, and much as I don't want to, I do keep thinking of David Cameron as, in some way, the (perhaps slightly wayward) child of Margaret Thatcher and Norman Tebbit. Not my idea of family values, really.

On paper there are things about the Conservatives I should like, but when I do concentrate on what he's saying and try to understand where he's coming from, then his plan is obvious: he's trying to reinvent the Conservative party and make it electable. At this present time he will say anything to try to get more votes, this is understandable, but it has come at the expense of his message.

To my mind the Conservative Party have been even harder to turn around than the Labour Party of 1979, and 13 years since they were last in power I still couldn't support them. This isn't entirely Cameron's fault, of course, as he's only been in charge the lasts few years, but that's why I won't be joining the Conservatives, or even voting for them this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment